The guns were delivered to Gibraltar aboard the WD vessel SS Stanley. The first gun arrived on the 3rd December 1882 and landed on the quay next to New Mole Battery on the 10th December. It was hoisted to the top of that battery using a specially built traveller apparatus between the 4th and 8th June and from there transported by means of a special sleigh to Napier Battery, a distance of 400 yards, which took working 21 days – starting on the 14th June and completed on the 11th July. The gun was finally mounted on its carriage on the 23rd July 1883.
These new artillery pieces were enormous weapons for their time. They were muzzle-loading guns, with a rifled tube and rigid mount. Each gun required a crew of 35 men, including 18 men to handle the ammunition. The gun crews, however, could only fire a projectile once every six minutes.
Information necessary to aim the gun was conveyed to a telephonist by range-finders situated higher up the Rock. Since the telephone had only recently been invented in 1876, this post of telephonist must have been one of the first in the British army. Nevertheless, commands within the battery itself were still conveyed by speaking tubes and trumpet calls.