In December 1872, the Director of Artillery and Stores reported that a 9-inch RML gun was to be mounted at South Barracks but that work had not started. This proposal was never implemented. The exact site, as intended, is not known but it is most likely to have been to the west of South Barracks Chapel, which was used as a gun position in World War II, and known as Low's (qv). This site later became part of the refectory building and exterior courtyard of the present GPA premises.
The refectory itself was originally built as an infant school, probably one of the regimental schools, which provided free education to army children. Older children would have attended the Anglican school at Brympton in the South District. Local children also attended these schools until the establishment of St. Joseph’s Infant School to cater for the Catholic education of children in the South District.