In 1725, Governor Kane reported two guns placed on this location as part of the New Mole defences. A plan for the proposed New Mole Fort by Jonas Moore dated to 1732 shows a battery of eight guns facing north defending the New Mole, another five guns and two mortars facing west towards the bay, two flanking guns facing south and three guns en barbette facing east and covering the dockyard. Two further guns en barbette covered the curtain wall from the South. This last flanking battery appears to be the same battery reported by Kane in 1725.
Lieutenant Colonel Thomas James, writing in about 1755, described the new fort which had been built over the ruins of the old Torre del Tuerto as follows: ‘…the new mole fort, with two flanks of one gun each fronting the fort; and two flanks of two guns each fronting the eight-gun battery. Most of this wall was rebuilt in one thousand seven hundred and twenty-five and kept in good repair. On that part of the wall joining the new mole fort, are even embrasures to defend the inside of the said mole. The fort of this mole is of a triangular form, the side next to the hill has a rampart and parapet for musketry, a guard-house, and part of the Spanish barrack is built within…The Landport gate of this fort is on the opposite flank within side, and against this flank is a magazine, opposite to which, and on the south face of this bastion, is one piece of ordnance, and a howitzer.’