Following proposals by Admiral Sir Augustus Phillimore KCB, work on HM Dockyard Gibraltar started in the mid 1890’s and took over a decade to complete. Late 19th Century anchors such as these were used during the construction of the Dockyard and associated moles for mooring construction barges and ancillary ships.
Weighing between 6 and 10 tons these one-hook cast iron anchors are known as dead-weight anchors, literally holding the surface vessel firm because of their tremendous weight. Although this anchor is two-pieced (stoke or cross-bar and anchor), they were also deployed without the stoke.
After the construction of the dockyard, these anchors were left on the sea-bed. A number of these anchors were lifted in the 1980’s during dredging operations around the dock area and stored on land.
Restoration work on this one was undertaken by Mr. B. Van Thienen, on behalf of Her Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar and funded by Ocean Village. This was carried out during 2016 and 2017. This monument to British industrial and maritime history is now on display for all to enjoy.