The Line Wall Curtain to South Bastion
This section of wall followed was situated directly to the rear of Wellington Front, colloquially known as Lover’s Lane, stretching all the way to South Bastion. Before the remodelling of the new Line Wall in the 1840’s to incorporate Wellington Front, this section of the Line Wall was comprised of the following batteries:
Church or Cokane’s (Cockayne’s) Battery
Church Battery took its name from the Franciscan Church which was situated immediately to its rear. The battery consisted of four embrasures to the south of Columbine Battery. In 1771 the battery was armed with four 24-pdrs and in 1781 two 24-pdrs and four empty embrasures are recorded. The 1826 plan for the improvement of the Line Wall shows three embrasures about 30 yards apart. In 1834 when the last recorded armaments are listed, there were three 32-pdrs. On John Roque’s 1782 map (published in 1797), the Battery is shown as Cokane’s. A Mr. Cokane or Cockayne had been Secretary to the Governor in 1727. The battery was demolished when Wellington Front was built.
Convent Battery or Governor’s Battery
This battery owed its name to the Franciscan Monastery and Governor’s residence immediately to its rear. In 1771, there were two 24-pdrs. and two brass 8-inch howitzers. By 1781 this had been increased to six 24-pdrs., one 12-pdr. and one 4-pdr. with two empty embrasures. The 1826 plan for the improvement of the Line Wall shows two embrasures on the East Face and one on each flank. There were another two embrasures on a small flank, about 50 yards to the north, facing south, which may have been part of Convent Battery. In 1834, the last recorded armament for this battery showed three 32-pdrs. The battery was demolished in 1845 when work began on Wellington Front.