Following the capture of the Rock in August 1704 by Anglo-Dutch forces, the sea wall curtain was hastily repaired, but remained intrinsically the same as the Spanish had left it. In 1720 Dalton refers to four 4-pdrs. and four 32-pdrs. dismounted ‘upon ye line wall’ but after the 13th Siege the batteries along the line were referred to by their individual names. According to Rollo, in the early 18th Century Line Wall was considered to be in two parts, North Front and West Front, which included the following batteries:
North Front: Prince of Hesse’s Battery, Grand Battery, North Bastion, Old Mole.
West Front: Montagu Battery, Navy Yard Battery, Prince of Orange Battery, Saluting Battery, White Cloister Battery, Zoca or Fountain Battery, Main Guard Battery, The 8th Battery, Bombhouse Battery, Columbine’s or Norman’s Battery, Church or Cockayne’s Battery, Convent or Governor’s Battery, South Bastion.