The cave was discovered in August 1902, when blasting operations for the eastside water catchment led to the discovery of a 350 feet by 70 feet high cave full of stalactites and stalagmites and reported in the London Illustrated News.
Described by Kenyon in 1911 as:
...the great Mediterranean Cave discovered in August 1902 in the course of the Admiralty quarrying operations which is a remarkably fine cave containing stalactites and stalagmites of an infinite variety of form and size.
The cave was large enough to cause a bit of a stir and news of its discovery and was referred to as a “Mammoth” cave. Unfortunately, the word “Mammoth” had already been used for another cave and whoever it is that is responsible for cave naming in Gibraltar decided on Mediterranean Cave instead. Three months later it appeared in the London Illustrated News – still unnamed.
In 1942, part of the cave was converted into the East Side Distiller. A number of WWII defensive positions were built in or around the Mediterranean Cave including a fallout shelter, pillboxes, Observation Post and a hidden 6pdr Hotchkiss gun position located on the roof of the Mediterranean Cave Pump House along the shore line.
Link to Neville Chipulina 2019 - The 200 Caves of Gibraltar - Part 10