Accessibility

Font size

Filters

Highlight

Colour

Zoom

Back

Ordnance Survey Benchmark

Ref: BM076

This benchmark is located along Lower Castle Road at the junction where it connects with the steps of Castle Street in the Upper Town area.

It is chiselled directly into the masonry and is shown on the 1866 OS Survey Map of Gibraltar (updated up to the 1940’s), represented by the broad arrow symbol and its corresponding BM number 158.45.

 

Ordnance Survey Benchmarks

The broad arrow symbol topped with a horizontal line can be seen chiselled on masonry in locations throughout Gibraltar denoting Ordnance Survey benchmarks which first appeared in the OS map of Gibraltar carried out in 1865 by the Royal Engineers. The Royal Engineers used these benchmarks to calculate each position relative to the heights of nearby benchmarks in a network extending from a fundamental benchmark which was a point with a precisely known relationship to the vertical datum of the area, typically mean sea level. A number of benchmarks can still be seen on the base of the Line Wall which marked the extent of the land mass just above sea-level. The location and height of each benchmark was then shown in the army OS maps right up to the 1930’s.

Demolition of many old buildings, road enlargements and the return of dense vegetation to many parts of the Upper Rock has destroyed or obscured many of these benchmarks, but many marks remain extant to this day.

Ordnance Survey Benchmark Image

MAP LOCATION