The new works were named in honour of her Majesty Queen Victoria’s Royal Consort, Prince Albert, with the Front itself to be armed with 68-pdr. cannon. However, due to lack of sufficient funding, the total number of guns, to the number of eighteen, were not mounted on the Front until 1859; six of these being placed on wooden traverse carriages. Most of the construction work carried out along the Line Wall, including Prince Albert’s Front and Zoca Battery, depended on the use of convict labour imprisoned aboard the prison hulk Owen Glendower which had sailed from Chatham for Gibraltar in October 1842 with 200 convicts for work on the development of the Dockyard and the construction of a new breakwater but were soon used in the re-alignment of the Line Wall as well.
Prince Albert’s Front raised above Line Wall Road still preserves two well-preserved Victorian magazines, embrasures for 10 guns as well as a number of banquettes.