The lower section of the vast St Michael’s Cave was discovered during tunnelling operations in 1942. Access was gained from the lower adit of the known St Michael’s Cave. The first sign was when their tunnelling appeared to create no rubble as it had fallen through the newly created opening into this previously undiscovered cave which may have remained sealed for some 20,000 years.
The cavern is of extraordinary beauty, glimmering with white, grey and red stalactite columns, resembling a cathedral with pulpit, chancel and organ pipes. This extraordinary beautiful cavern is remarkable for three reasons: the size of the main chambers, the profusion and variety of calcite formations, and last but not least - a lake of crystal clear water, nearly forty yards long estimated to hold 45,000 gallons.
The Lower Saint Michael’s Cave has been well preserved and remains today, totally in much of its original natural state. The only minor additions to the lower caves are some ropes and lights that were installed for safety measures, aiding visitors as they climb and shuffle over rocks.
This spectacular cave system is currently accessible to the public only with a guide by prior appointment.