Since the 1860’s part of the cliff face to the south of Camp Bay had been quarried using convict labour for stone and rubble to extend the New Mole to 1,400 feet. A recommendation to further lengthen the mole and create a Naval Dockyard had been proposed since 1890 and a scheme to extend the mole from 1,400 to 3,700 feet as well as the creation of a commercial mole was finally sanctioned under the Naval Works Act of 1895.4
However, a much more ambitious scheme was launched the following year which now included three new dry docks, as well as extensive workshops for the dockyard, a detached mole and another commercial mole creating a safe, deep water harbor which could be protected from the new threat of torpedo-boats. Massive amounts of rock were required for this scheme and the Europa Quarry, being the nearest to the Dockyard became the main source of limestone for the project. By the time the Dockyard had been completed in 1906 the cliff-face around the Devil’s Bowling Green disappeared.