In the report of 1856, it was proposed to rearm this front with 68-pounders; by 1863, there were seven of these on site together with four 32-pounders and four 8-inch Smooth Bore guns for flank defence. In 1878, these were replaced by one heavy 12.5-inch 36-ton RML gun behind an armoured iron shield. The gun has since been removed, but its emplacement is still clearly visible on top of the face of the front's right demi-bastion.
In 1886, Wellington Front had the following shown on its returns: four 8-inch Smooth Bore guns, one 12.5ins RML (In the new Iron Shield Position on Northern Dem-Bastion 1879), one 64/32lbs RML (garrison standing gun carriage) two 32lbs Smooth Bore guns (garrison standing gun carriage), three 10-inch RML, three 64/32lbs RML (garrison standing gun carriage) and two 32lbs SM (garrison standing gun carriage).
Within three years, however, armament on the front had been reduced to four 8-inch Smooth Bore guns and one 12.5ins RML in the north demi-bastion, no guns on the centre front and two 32-pounders and one 64-pounder at the southern demi-bastion which was gone by 1897. The 12.5-inch RML was also removed in 1902 although where the gun was taken remains a mystery.