The first recorded armament on the West Place of Arms counterguard is listed in the Armament List of 1834 when it was armed with thirteen 24-pounders and two 9-pounders; from 1859 to 1863 it mounted ten 32-pounders and two 8-inch howitzers. These appear to have remained in place until 1874 when some of the 32-pounders were replaced with 64-pounder RML’s.
In 1885 Armament List shows that there were now three 32-pounder Smooth Bore guns, two 8-inch howitzers and four 64-pounder Muzzle Loading guns on garrison standing carriages on the site.
In 1889 there were six 64-pounder RML’s and three 32-pounders but by 1892 only two 64-pounders remained and even these were removed within a few years.
The 1896/97 Survey shows four embrasures on the right face, six on the left face, with four traverses, and two on the left flank.